maanantai 23. tammikuuta 2012

... ballads for January

Yep, I know it´s far too late, the month and the year has changed ages ago. I´m just not the easily forward-moving type. It seems I always unconsciously want to stick to the previous times, no matter how horrid they were. Maybe I´m a recollection masochist (is that even a word?).
Anyway, you may guess that I´m not going to proceed on the cheerful levels of music either. Though I´ve been lately watching brainless musicals like Hairspray (loony) or Grease (loonier), I prefer the soundtracks of little more serious cinema. Let´s start with Romeo + Juliet by Baz Luhrmann (the director of sparkling Moulin Rouge!).
The film is by the way definitely worth of watching. I don´t find the ultimate mother of all love stories entertaining written - I mean, the writer himself meant it to be brought to life from cold words, to be played. And Luhrmann has cultivated it to be intriguing and exotic - campy even - without blunting the passion. Perfect eye candy it is, too. I don´t know about other people, but I can´t say no to a film with a pink-haired gangsta and Hawaiian shirts with the Sacred Heart print. Kitsch has never been this beautiful.

Then, I go on with music...

I don´t know why I chose the last one - it´s not actually a ballad, and not very wintery either - it´s about reminiscing the bygone summer days and trying to stick to the carefree feeling of the time. But it´s been frequently played on the radio, and I´ve grown to love the lyrics.
Täysin uus
outo avaruus
hetkessä aukeaa...
It´s a beautiful, almost perfect sentence.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti