maanantai 19. joulukuuta 2011

... Picnic at Hanging Rock

Why is it so that there are millions of films in the world and only about twenty of them can be described precious? I, having seen a fair amount of generally recognized films, can only nominate these:
Titanic
Spirited away
In the mood for love
The Crying Game
Vertigo
Gladiator
And then there is Picnic at Hanging Rock.
Now that I examine my list I do notice some similarities between the films. They all have the certain nuance of mystery (except for Titanic and Gladiator, which I praise because they make me cry) and they all are visually stunning. They also seem to exist just for themselves, not to execute any determinate function. L´art pour l´art, I should say.
Picnic at Hanging Rock is particularly dear to me because it has taken the concept of enigmas to the whole new level. And it is - how to say it - formidably beautiful. One of the few movies I wouldn´t change the slightest bit if I had a chance to. I admit there are resembling films that have had a great influence on me even though they have some notable imperfections. Films like Inception have fitting ambience but lack imagination. Films like Black Swan are spectacular but too abominable for me. Picnic at the Hanging Rock, however, is neither of the types. It´s creepy, but not too creepy - and it´s imaginatively cryptic. I´m glad I´ve seen it. It makes me believe it is possible to create something that´s important - sometimes.
It is really too bad that PHR  isn´t available here in Finland - my mother had to order it via some foreign website. It is also irritating that if its name is translated into finnish - as I have sometimes heard to happen - it alters to mean "Picnic at a gallow", "Huviretki hirttopaikalle", which I think totally changes the idea. I mean, it sounds like a name of a western! Or a half-baked black comedy. Well, I can vaguely see the connection between hanging as an execution and hanging as a geolocigal feature. It´s still quite a transition.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti