torstai 8. maaliskuuta 2012

... Tenerife

I´m sorry for being silent for the past weeks - I know quadrillion people has missed me sooooooo much!
There is a reason for the stillness: I was on winter holiday with my family in the corny but cheesy but campy Tenerife - the tourist trap number one for the Finnish, the British and unfortunately the German, too. I am nevertheless glad to say I was positively surprised by the diversity of the island. There were actually many more places to see than just crowded beaches like Playa de las Americas.
    We wanted to discover the genuine culture and nature of the island and rented a car to explore Tenerife undisturbed. By car you can pass the whole island easily, and you won´t be bored if you have any sense of natural beauty at all. I was surprised when I first arrived to the island: near the airport the scene was  bare, with only succulents and volcanic gravel. Some parts of the island are indeed extremely barren, with only edged banana plantations and canyons. The Northern part however turned out to be verdant, almost like Madeira. In the beginning of the holiday we had a walk on a extremely steep path in a forest that led us to a beautiful vale where they had mandarin trees. Even though it was laborious to ascend the abrupt hillside, it was a magnificent visual experience. The mountain range is veritably versatile: there are pine forests sticking out from mere volcanic rocks and prairie resembling cactus plains, but on the other hand there are primeval rain forests and green valleys for farming.
   In the middle of the vacation we visited Playa de las Americas, just to see if it was as hmm... touristical as we have heard it to be. We found out that it was, even though it isn´t the season yet. I didn´t like it at all: topless rednecks, sunglasses salesmen from the Western Africa and eagerly over the fasciae peeking restaurateurs who called: Terve terve! as soon as they noticed we were from Finland. Fortunately the worst concentration of the spare-tire-rough-tan beings and their mercenary nuisances never leaves Las Americas. Therefore, if one - due to the blatant marketers and vociferous tourists - feels uncomfortable whilst walking down the boulevard, one can always set out for nature. We for example went to watch dolphins by sailboat. It was magical to see them in their natural surroundings!
     For those who in spite of all prefer easy beach holiday: at least choose a beach where you´re not a part of a bronze and brainless cattle whale watching guides and fake Lacoste sellers drive. Don´t loiter in places where they breed and thrive. Loiter in peaceful strands also favored by natives: Playa de la Arena, for instance.
End of my sermon :) I have to say I really enjoyed my trip and I highly recommend Tenerife to everyone. Here are some pictures of my trip.
The view from the highest floor of our hotel

My brother Tuukka and a volcanic field near Teide

Mountain range near Masca

My family admiring the scenery






On our way to Faro de Teno
The beach of  Faro de Teno



The sleeping tourist village 

4 kommenttia:

  1. Katopa täältä! Ihania,mutta aika kalliita kyllä...
    http://www.blackmilkclothing.com/collections/leggings#

    VastaaPoista
  2. Vau, aivan sika hienoja!!! Ahkerasti oot kyl bongaillut, kun löysit, itse en meinaa millään löytää mitään avaruusaiheisia vaatteita. Aion kyllä hankkia edes yhdet tollaset mahd. pian, maksoi sitten vaikka tuon verran. Ne on varmaan kuitenkin aika hyvälaatuisia.

    VastaaPoista
  3. tenerife spain?¿ it looks great! but visiting my country is more amazing! if you guys want someday come to venezuela youll be amazed with all the beaches and montais and beautiful things we have here! tenerife is like a baby compared to venezuela! haha

    VastaaPoista
  4. Oh, I believe you, and I would so like to visit Venezuela, too :D Maybe next holiday... xD

    VastaaPoista